For this clip i was inspired by shots included in films where a bomb would land on a building. I decided i wanted to do something similar but not with a bomb as i felt my knowledge of Matchmover and Maya wasn’t advanced enough to create a bomb along with an explosion and debris. So instead i decided it would be different to create a sort of blanket or table-cloth to fall onto a building.
With the use of Matchmover, i tracked all the points of a panning shot of a building on Portland. I then had to take that file into Maya and construct a sort of shell of the building and where all the ledges are etc to give the programme an idea of where the cloth should be dropping and where the shadows should be appearing.
Then i had to create the cloth and i applied a colourful checkerboard design to it. There is also a camera view involved in the video as in the perspective view the construction of the building is visible.
After this i had to render all of the frames out into images which took a very long time. Eventually it had finished rendering and i was able to import all of the images into Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. I had to lower the minimum frame value of stills in the properties to easily create the video without resizing every still, considering there is around 300 of them.
I don’t have a breakdown/any screenshots of the project at the moment i will update this later.
The final video is below.
I am satisfied with the final outcome of the video clip but there are parts i am not as happy with for example there is a small ball in the frames that flies down vertically against the building I believe this is a tracking point and I was under the impression it would be invisible but it is not and I would try my best to change this if I could redo it. Also there are some edges visible and have some shadow around the construction of the building I made, I am not sure why they are visible as I could not see them when i did pre-renders.Soi would need to find out why they are there and how to change that if I wanted to change the clip. I have also noticed that the cloth doesn’t fall where it should on the ground when it gets to the bottom of the frame, I thought I had rectified this and made it so it drops where it should but for some reason it drops where the steps are so I would need to change this if i had to redo it as well.
I was inspired by the film Gravity to create a sequence of a rocket in space and the interior of the rocket. I decided to use the 3D software by Autodesk called Maya. I created 7 different sequences of a rocket flying through space, the planets in space, the inside of the rocket, birds eye and close up shots of the rocket coming towards the screen. This involved modelling the rocket first of all which was done by using the polygons tool and extruding and adjusting the edges etc to create the shape desired. The planets/space was created by using textures and shaders. The interior of the rocket involved looking at different images on Google and taking inspiration as to what sort of things are in a real rocket and including what i thought would look good in my particular creation. The fire was a particle effect used in the programme.
I used 3D modelling for this clip. After i completed each sequence, they were rendered in Maya individually as images to which i then edited them all into one video for this assignment with the programme Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. Then i uploaded it to Vimeo. Unfortunately, i do not have any screen shots of this project i worked on in Maya as my external hard drive broke that had the project files on.
I am mostly happy with the results of this clip. I think it looks well put together as a sequence but i also feel that it is very obvious that there is two different designs of the rocket in it as i had to model a second rocket due to my project file disappearing. I also wish i had added more texture and colour to the interior of the rocket.
I have found inspiration in the art of cinemagraphs from Ann Street Studio’s website. The cinemagraph i was inspired by is below. The website link for this cinemagraph is http://annstreetstudio.com/2012/01/11/hookah-by-fire-light-puma-takes-us-on-a-desert/.
I have decided i want to make my own cinemagraph and have come up with a few ideas.
The first idea i had inspired by the above would be to create a cinemagraph of my dog sitting in front of a fireplace and the fire roaring behind him.
To do this, i would need to take a photo of my dog by the fire and capture a video of the fire roaring and my dog sitting there. I would then need to mask in the fire roaring into the photograph. I used two video tutorials to make my cinema graph.
I used Adobe Photoshop CS6 and After Effects CS6 to mask and separate the video into layers by rasterising it. I also slowed down the fire roaring as i felt it was too fast and it would look more realistic if it was slower. The GIF is also colour graded with curves and levels to make it look less red toned. I also removed some grain. I am not sure why but the video and photographs i took were slightly grainy, the only reason i can put this down to is that the lighting was not great so in the future i am going to make sure i used external lighting in my projects.
(Details of the remove grain i used and the mask i drew)
(The curves and levels effect settings i used).
The final cinema graph i created is below.
I am very happy with the results. I am only unhappy with the low quality of the GIF. I tried to find different ways to resolve this but it seemed like there is not much you can do about it.